The City of Carlsbad is in the process of approving the building of a great local park. The park supports an active, healthy lifestyle by providing a variety of recreational features designed for all ages. The park will be a place to simply enjoy the outdoors, with connections to the citywide trails system.
At its April 26, 2011 workshop, the City Council approved building Phase I of the park. Phase I includes all the park amenities, dog park, skatepark, and specific elements of the aquatic center.
Proposed elements for Phase II include additions to the aquatic center, such as a wet play structure, "lazy river" and pool slides.
The park will feature:
· Three lighted softball/baseball fields
· Three lighted basketball half-courts
· Batting cages, and concession stands at the ball fields
· Picnic areas with barbecues
· Playground with 100 percent universally-accessible play equipment
· A 56-meter competition pool with a bulkhead and viewing bleachers
· A 25-meter 12-lane swim instruction pool
· A small warm water therapy pool
· A small ”spray-ground” play area for young children
· Heated main locker room/restrooms
· Meeting rooms
· Concessions area
Proposed elements for Phase II of the park include recreational elements such as pool slides, a "lazy river," and wet play structure.
This off-leash dog park will be divided into areas for larger and smaller dogs, and include obstacle course-type play equipment. Unlike the current dog park, the Alga Norte dog park will feature a mix of turf and decomposed granite surfaces.
The Alga Norte skate park will accommodate a variety of ages and skill levels. This 15,000-square-foot skate park will be located in the northeast corner of the park and will be lighted to extend its hours of use. The skate park at Alga Norte will be fairly larger than the Carlsbad Skate park currently used by many of our locals.
The skate park will include a straight "street course" section, an area with challenging elements for more skilled skateboarders. It will also include a beginners’ area. The beginners’ area will be located next to the playground, in response to community feedback requesting these two areas to be located close together to accommodate families with both older and younger children.